The Athletic Hall of Fame at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy was formed to honor and recognize graduates of the Academy who distinguished themselves and brought credit to the Academy through outstanding achievement in varsity intercollegiate competition. These accomplishments, plus the significant efforts and guidance of coaches, faculty, alumni and others, will be immortalized in the Athletic Hall of Fame in order to establish a proud tradition which will inspire the Regiment of Midshipmen to achieve the mission of the USMMA. The next induction will take place Homecoming 2017.
USMMA Hall of Fame:
Hall of Fame Deadlines: The Hall of Fame Committee votes every other year for the USMMA Athletic Hall of Fame. Nominations that are submitted after the deadline will automatically count for the subsequent USMMA HOF Class.
- Class of 2017 - Nominations Closed June 1, 2016
- Class of 2019 - Deadline: June 1, 2018*
- *New nomination process beginning January 1, 2017
- Class of 2021 - Deadline: June 1, 2020
USMMA Athletic Hall of Fame Committee:
- Alumni - Jim Tobin ’77 (Chair), Pete Rackett ’61, Tom Carpenter ‘79, Alex Smigelski ‘79
- Athletics - Mo White, Mike Toop '77
- Faculty - John Lutz ‘92
- Staff – Gene Albert ‘79
- Bob Rogaski ’61, Jim Liebertz ’66
- These two will be fully involved in the process and will voice their opinions the same as the other members of the committee.\
- They will “vote” but their votes will not count in case of a tie.
There are three types of membership as follows:
- Regular: Regular membership is reserved for graduates of the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy 10 or more years out of the Academy who distinguished themselves through outstanding achievement in intercollegiate athletics and, as graduates, continued to exemplify the character, courage, leadership and well-rounded ability that the Academy seeks to develop through its athletic program.
- Honorary: Honorary membership is reserved for those individuals, graduates or non-graduates, who have dedicated significant time and efforts to the Academy's intercollegiate athletic program over a period of at least 10 years. They may include, but are not limited to, instructors, coaches, Academy staff and officials, alumni, and others associated with cadet/midshipmen varsity athletics who have had a significant impact in developing the qualities which regular members of the Athletic Hall of Fame exemplify.
- Special: Special membership is reserved for regular nominees whose qualifications and special circumstances are such that the Screening Committee and the Selection Committee feel that time limitations for induction should be waived. A majority vote of both Committees is necessary for this waiver.